Friday 30 August 2013

Full Coverage Concealers

What I look for in a concealer is something that does just that; conceals! I find that so many concealers don't actually cover redness or broken skin. So today i'm going to tell you the three concealers I use that have maximum coverage. Preference in terms of texture might change from person to person which is why I'm reviewing my favourite powder concealer, liquid concealer, and stick concealer.

1) Bare Minerals Well Rested Concealer - £19.00

This is my all-time favourite that I use everyday. You wouldn't think that a powder could have so much coverage but this really does. It is actually meant to be an under-eye concealer, which it is also excellent for, but for me it covers everything. I think it's because the powder is so pigmented.

For me, this is absolutely fabulous at covering redness. This is my go-to concealer for covering spots. What I also love about it is that it can conceal scabs well. I always find then when you've picked a spot and it's scabbed over concealer may not really cover it. I don't know whether it's because it's a powder but the concealer is able to get into all the nooks and crannies and cover all the surface area visible.

As I previously mentioned this product is also brilliant at concealing dark circles. What I do is I use a softer slightly larger brush for the eyes so that the powder blends really well, and then I use a smaller, more dense brush on spots so that the product is more concentrated, and it works excellently. The main thing I love about this concealer is how long it lasts. It's like it sticks to spots because as soon as you put it on it doesn't budge! It may seem pricey but I have had this concealer for over a year now and I'm half way through. It lasts SO long. I think it's because it's so pigmented you use the tiniest bit at a time. So I know this is an under-eye concealer but it is absolutely worth investigating as a full facial concealer. It gets 10/10 from me! The only thing I would say is that it only comes in one colour, so you would have to go to a store and try it first as it may not be the colour for everyone.

2) MAC Pro Longwear Concealer - £15.50

I don't actually normally like liquid concealers because I've found that they don't last that long at concealing but this one is pretty good. For me it's fantastic at concealing dark circles or larger areas of redness rather than spots. 

Like the Bare Minerals concealer, the product is really pigmented so you only need a very small amount. What I particularly like about this product is that even with a tiny amount of product you can blend and spread it really well, which is why I think it's better for larger areas. But to try and cover a spot, I find that the product disperses too much so you don't get as much coverage on that concentrated area. 

Anyway when I use this product I find that it does last all day. My dark circles are concealed from morning to evening. Again, the price of this concealer is a little pricey, but like the Bare Minerals it lasts for a very long time. I've had this one six months and I've barely used any of it. So I would absolutely reccomend.


3) Maybelline Cover Stick - £4.09

I've read quite a lot of bad reviews for this product which is odd because I find that it works really well for me. What I've read in the reviews is that it either makes the skin look very dry, or very greasy. I would say for this product that you definitely would not want to use it on dry skin as it'll just make it look flakey. As for making the skin greasy, it definitely doesn't do that to me and my skin is slightly oily. Maybe it's just with people that have very oily skin.

For me this concealer unlike the MAC concealer, is best for covering spots and not for concealing dark circles. The reason for this is because of its chalky texture. If you were wanting to cover a larger area, it probably wouldn't work because it doesn't blend/move that well on the skin. But for small areas like spots, the chalky texture is good because it really masks it, and then it's easy to blend a small amount around the edges etc. For me, this concealer is great at concealing redness.

I wouldn't say that it lasts as long as the other concealers but it's also less than half the price of the other two. For an affordable product I would say that it's excellent quality. I've also had this for a year and it's still going. Anyway if you do buy it and find that it's not for you, you haven't broken the bank! 

Here is a photo of all three, so you get an idea what the actual products look like:

Left to right: Bare Minerals Well Rested, Mac Prolongwear NW20, Maybelling Coverstick in Ivory 
Sibley
x

No comments:

Post a Comment